I volunteer/work for my local aquarium.
我在本地的一家水族馆做义工

Today
今天

I volunteered to help with our sick animals.
我自愿去帮助那些生病的动物们

My job today
我今天的工作

was to get a sad baby leopard shark to be happy again
是让一只忧伤的豹纹鲨重新快乐起来

as he was having problems
他的小肚子有些不舒服

(basically I massaged a shark all day).
基本上我的工作就是给鲨鱼按摩

Because I was so wrapped up in this
我只顾着埋头工作

I left my Wallet an hour away at the aquarium.
结果把自己的钱包丢在水族馆,一个多小时后才发现

When I finally realized this after getting home,
回家后我才发现这件事

I hopped in my car
我跳上自己的车

and saw the gas light on.
却发现指示灯显示没油了

I up $3 in change
我凑齐了3美元的硬币

with the hopes 1 gallon would be enough to get me there.
希望一加仑的油足够让我到达那里

When I arrived at the station
当我感到加油站

I had asked the lady
我问加油站里的服务员

how far could 1gallon get me
一问她一加仑的油可以让车子跑多远

because I had left my wallet at my job.
因为我把自己的钱包丢在上班的地方了

Without hesitation
没有丝毫犹豫

she pulled out a $10 dollar bill
她拿出一张10美元的钞票

and paid for my gas
为我付了油钱

and told me that
并且对我说

everyone has struggles
每个人都有难处

and it’s our job to help when we can
力所能及时伸出援手,这是份内的事情

and to push it forward.
可以扶危济困

I returned 2 hours later
两个小时后我返回来

with $50 cash to give to her
想要把50美元还给她

but she had left
可是她却已经离开了

and I didn’t feel comfortable giving it to the other attendant.
而我也不情愿将钱交给另一个工作人员

So
所以

to the lady that selflessly gave me gas in my time of need
我想对那位在我需要的时候无私的借钱给我加油的女士说

thank you
谢谢你

and I hope to see you back at work soon!
希望你再来上班的时候,能很快相见!